Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jackie Kerin: Children's Week. Woodend 27 October 2012

I do enjoy travelling around and sharing the story of Phar Lap the wonder horse. 

Saturday 27 October I will be in Woodend, firstly at the Library for some storytelling and later I will wander down to the New Leaves Bookshop for book signings.

The history of Woodend is closely linked to the gold rush. Arriving in Melbourne in the 1850s, many fevered hopefuls shouldered pics and shovels and marched up Mt Alexander Rd to Diggers Rest, then through the forest to emerge at Woodend. There is much to see in the vicinity and I plan to stay overnight and spend the weekend exploring the surrounds which include Hanging Rock.

I believe Woodend supports a large horse-racing community. Come and say 'Hi'.

If you can't join me in Woodend but would like to buy a copy of Phar Lap the wonder horse, just google - he's everywhere on line. Or better still, most good book stores have him in stock, especially at this time of year. If you would like a taste of the story visit me here and I will tell you personally. 


Phar Lap is written in rhyming couplets in the ballad making tradition. This makes it easy to learn by heart. The recitation of ballads still thrives at folk festivals around Australia and the bush poets are easy to spot with broad-brimmed hats, waistcoats and beards. Although the balladeering events are dominated by blokes, there are always a few women willing to recite the odd 'pome' and I am one of those.

Woodend Library (cnr Forest and High Streets): Saturday 27 October 10,30 - 11.30 am
New Leaves Book Shop (cnr Anslow and Collier streets): 2.00 - 300 pm 


Jackie Kerin