Saturday, February 18, 2017

KATE LAWRENCE: Footy Dreams and Story Wise News

As a life member of the Victorian Women’s Football League, twenty years dreaming and waiting, brought tears of joy as I watched the AFL Women’s comp kick off.  Seeing women play footy brought back many memories, and I know I have stories to birth from my nearly ten years playing, coaching or developing women's football.  For now I will settle for contemplating, via a photo, just who is that stranger in my body and a St Kilda jumper?   (Yes, I am in the photo above!)

The kids are back at school and I have time to work. Actually, for the first time in 13 years, it’s just one kid back at school. (Big changes at home this year, my eldest son heads off to university and my 15 year old daughter is in France for ten months).

I am sitting at a desk, newly nestled into the corner of my bedroom, a clear and clean place to get me back into a writing routine.  So far so good, here I am.

As always the start of a new year brings a new era, a clean slate full of possibilities. I’m aiming to haul myself back from the burning hot vortex that is the internet much more often, and be with myself, my words and stories, and the folks who want to work with me, tell stories, listen and read. 

Story Wise (trying to separate myself from the business, conceptually at least), has lots on offer this year.  Storytelling nights begin next month and the dates and themes are up on the website. The theme for March is Chance(s).
  • StoryWise Women, begins on March 7th and continues on the first Tuesday of the month at Long Play in St George Road, Fitzroy North. 
  • StoryWise Woodend begins on March 3rd and continues on the first Friday of the month at Holgates Hotel, High Street, Woodend. And the podcast of the best stories told in Woodend over the last 18 months, is on its second season and continues to grow listeners.  Subscribe in Itunes 
  • I will be running a  public online storytelling workshop!  It will be run over two 90 minute sessions on March 14 and 28th, 9.30 – 11am and limited to ten participants.  The first session is lots of learning about story and exploring possible stories to tell.  Then we shift into choosing a story and shaping it. In between the session participants pair up to practice their stories.   It is $75.
 I am heading off to Santa Fe for the first two weeks of April, (to work with a story and story business coach), but storytelling nights will continue with gracious stand in hosts.  I have new coaching packages, more paid story coaching clients, and getting closer to bigger, longer group workshops (I dream often about running a story retreat).  More to come after Santa Fe.

Thanks for sharing with us Kate. Enjoy your time in Santa Fe (ed)